Sprout About In Lincoln

February 5, 2006


I took the decision to drive to Lincoln, got some travelling companions and set off about 9am. Traffic was light on the motorway and we made good time in getting to Lincoln, after a slight traffic hold-up on the A46. Everything was good as we approached until I missed a turn, and now the directions I had were useless as we headed into the centre via a different route stumbling upon the ground by accident.

 After stepping out of the warmth of my car, the windy, cold conditions of Lincolnshire hit us straight away. It was ime to find somewhere warm and get a drink. We made our way to the first pub, of which the name escapes where the Cheltenham FA Cup game was on. Perfect. However the place seemed odd. It was a nice enough place, but it looked and felt as if you were in someone’s house and you were getting in the way. After finishing our drinks me and my mate made our way to the next pub all of twenty yards further up the road. This actually looked like a pub and criminally had hardly anyone in. The Cheltenham game was also on and my friend and I had a few games of pool to pass the time.


It was time to brave the elements again, and head to Sincil Bank. Unfortunately there wasn’t much action to keep any of the fans warm, with neither ‘keeper really having a save to make. It was bitterly cold and when Lincoln scored late in the game, it suddenly started to feel even colder. We played some good football in the first half, but Lincoln’s aerial bombardment started to take its toll in the second half. I don’t think we deserved to win, but neither did we deserve to lose. Steve Elliott was a rock at the back, and Lewis Haldane looked lively on the right of midfield, and even made a great tackle in our own penalty area. It’s good to see that reserve players slotting into the team well and that can only bode well for the remainder of the season.

After the game the sanctuary of my car and respite from the wind was welcome. The journey home was uneventful, with the soothing sounds of Five Live and Arsenal losing to accompany it. I managed to get back by 9 o’clock and finish the day off with a relaxing drink in Wetherspoons, just what you need after a 360 mile round trip.


Sprout and About  first appeared in the Bristol Rovers match day programme, ‘The Pirate’, and is reproduced here by kind permission of the editor Keith Brookman.

Share This Post On