Wrexham WWW

September 7, 2014

FGR 0 v. 1 Wrexham FC

Can we play all our games on the road?

 A third straight away win – thanks to Louis Moult’s superb free kick.

Louis-Moult 2

 (Wrexham FC First Day Back in Training: Kevin Wilkin and Gary Mills with new signings Louis Moult, Blaine Hudson and Wes York.)

On eight minutes, Moult’s cross from the right was aimed at Connor Jennings in the six-yard box, but the massed ranks in the home defence cleared up field. Seconds later and a quick Rovers break saw striker James Norwood flash a low shot across the face of the Wrexham goal that went wide of the far post, but not by much.

Then it was back to the other end and Danny Coles had to head over his own crossbar when Johnny Hunt crossed in an inviting ball from the left. Wrexham’s first real moment of danger came when Hunt directed a free kick in from the left, Clarke headed on and while Jennings got a touch he was not able to direct it on target.

On 26 minutes, Wes York popped up on the left wing, he cut a pass back to Clarke on the corner of the box and his low shot was a foot wide of Sam Russell’s right hand post. With half an hour gone, York used his speed to good effect and forced a corner. Hunt crossed in from the right, with Jennings’ header well saved and Moult pulling his follow up wide.

Hunt kept the ball in play, crossed in again, with Moult heading on target, but Russell was once again equal to the challenge. Johnny Hunt just failed to thread a ball through traffic, as Jennings made a diagonal run across the home box. Robbie Evans conceded a soft free kick to Sam Parkin (honest) on the edge of our box – which was fired in by Elliott Frear and at full stretch Bachmann tipped over for a corner!

Louis-Moult wrexham scorer

The big Austrian then clawed away Parkin’s header from the corner – some quality keeping. Ht 0-0 On 54 minutes Jennings won a free kick some 30 yards out, after being fouled from behind. Moult was left to take the kick, which he despatched directly into the top corner and although Russell got a touch he couldn’t keep it out. From the kick off, Neil Ashton was forced to head behind at the other end, before Parkin hit his shot into the ground and over the Wrexham crossbar.

Just after the Jennings screaming for penalty, when he looked to be held off the ball right in front of goal, getting on the end of York cross – the referee gave a corner and then a foul to the home side. On 67 minutes, the home side sent on two subs – Lee Hughes for Kelly; Kurtis Guthrie for Frear. Russell came to the rescue again on 71 minutes, as first he denied Hunt and was then happy to push the follow up effort away for a corner. He then caught Jennings’ header as the flag kick came over.

Frustration for FGR, as first Parking escapes a card for throwing the ball at Ashton, then Norwood gets booked for the same thing, before sub Guthrie was very fortunate to stay on after hammering into Jennings. He got a yellow. Then on 82 minutes, Lee Hughes was red carded for having a go at Bachmann when the keeper had the ball in his hands and was getting to his feet.


In the last minute of normal time Bachmann saved low from a Parkin header.

FGR: Russell, Pipe, Stokes, Oliver, Norwood, Wedgbury, Kelly (Hughes 67), Frear (Guthrie 67), Sinclair, Parkin, Coles. Subs: Arnold, Bennett, Oshodi.

Wrexham: Bachmann, Carrington, Smith, Hudson, Ashton; York, Clarke, Evans, Hunt, Jennings, Moult (Bishop 89). Subs: White, Durrell, Harris, Bailey-Jones.

Referee: Dean Treleaven (Portsmouth)

Attendance: 1,401 Away: 236 Sending Off – FGR: Hughes (84, foul)

Bookings – FGR: Wedgbury (foul), Norwood (foul), Guthrie (82, foul), Parkin (90+4, foul) Wrexham: Clarke (foul)

(Adapted from the Wrexham FC Official Site)

Share This Post On