Reds Last Match

November 10, 2014




Cameron Dawson’s superb save from Steven Gillespie’s added time penalty may just prove to be the turning point in Alfreton Town’s torrid season, allowing the Reds to keep all three points through Luke Graham’s 20th minute header.

Alfreton were also able to clamber up to 22nd spot in the Vanarama Conference with only their second win in 14 League and Cup games away from the lmpact Arena, whilst recording their third successive win at Altrincham stretched over a decade.

With striker Karl Hawley serving the first of a three-match ban after being sent off in the midweek F. A. Cup debacle at Lincoln, the opportunity arose to partner Paul Clayton with Massiah McDonald up front whilst Nathan Hicks returned after a lengthy lay-off with a nasty shoulder injury.

After an early Altrincham onslaught was nullified Alfreton began to take the game to their hosts, with Anthony Howell progressing centrally before setting up Clayton only for his shot to be blocked by Tom Marshall.

A Tom Shaw flag-kick was delivered lead to Graham’s deft near post header being almost cleared off the line by Scott Leather before nestling in the back of the net as Alfreton celebrated taking the lead.

It was Graham’s first goal for the club and six minutes later the central defender and skipper was only denied a second when Gianluca Havern hacked the ball off the line following a fluent move involving Clayton, Howell and Shaw.

A less lively second half suited Alfreton’s plans, although Dawson again needed to be alert when Perry unleashed a thunderbolt in the 53rd minute, then three moves in succession ended with Altrincham’s Reeves being caught frustratingly off-side.

A raking McDonald run in the 64th minute ended with his shot being blocked by Havern when better passing options were available, then Perry wasted a gilt-edged chance for the home team as Bradley Wood forced him so wide that his shot was inevitably off target.

In the fourth and last minute of stoppage time, referee Adrian Holmes decided that Graham had impeded Reeves and dramatically pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Gillespie to potentially ruin Alfreton’s day, but Dawson had other ideas and sprang low to his right to tip the well-struck spot-kick away for a throw-in.

ALFRETON: Dawson; Wood, Graham, Davies, Rowe-Turner, Hicks (Keane), Bradley, Shaw, Howell, Clayton, McDonald (Sheridan 90). Subs not used: Ironside, Smith, Courtney.

Att: 960.

(Adapted from the Ripley & Heanor News with thanks.)

Share This Post On