Welling View

December 6, 2014











Embedded image permalink


2 Minutes 27 Seconds of the match HERE



Following their defeat at Bristol Rovers seven days earlier, Welling United hosted the same opposition just seven days later.

Although without suspended Jamie Day and Jake Gallagher, and with live-wire striker Charlie Penny forced to retire after just eleven minutes, Welling were good value for their draw.

Tyrone Marsh made a return after a spell out injured and Ben Jefford also returned as Welling made a re-shuffle.

Bradley Goldberg, son of Bromley manager Mark, looked lively for the visitors early on and twisted and turned his way into a shooting position, but Benji Buchel beat out his shot and the follow up effort.

Again Goldberg found space for a shot that was deflected wide before Penny’s injury caused his withdrawal with Kieron St Aimie replacing him.

Marsh forced debutant goalkeeper Fabian Spiess into a save from a free kick before the Notts County loanee made a fine save fro the same man at the cost of a corner.


At the break, Darrell Clarke resisted the opportunity to make changes despite his double substitution having paid dividends a week earlier.

Goldberg collected a pass from Nathan Blissett but shot directly at Buchel, then the Wings goalkeeper made a save from that latter’s header.

Aristide Bassele received a harsh yellow card but Welling came close from a sweeping movement.

Sam Corne, superb in central midfield in the absence of Day and Gallagher, found Marsh who switched out wide to Joe Healy. The Wings captain whipped in a low cross that was just out of the reach of Kieron St Aimie.

Another Marsh shot was blocked but Zach Fagan was unable to find the target with the rebound.

Michael Chambers did well at the other end to block Jake Gosling’s shot after Blissett broke away then Ollie Clarke headed over.

Substitute Alex Wall then headed a Gosling cross over when well placed before a sweeping move gave Stuart Sinclair an opening for a shot but Buchel made a comfortable save.











Ben Jefford’s free kick evaded the otherwise comfortable Spiess, but Jamal Fyfield, at full stretch, could not finish.

Wall brought out a brilliant save from Buchel, diving at full stretch and Barney Williams made one of several important clearances but Welling had the last clear chance of the match.

Once again, Marsh did well before finding Healy, but his clever chip floated just the wrong side of the far post.

Welling United: Buchel, Williams, Jefford, Fagan, Fyfield, Chambers, Bassele (Hudson 59), Corne, Marsh, Penny St Aimie 11), Healy (Bush 90). Unused substitutes: Henly, Taylor.

(Adapted from the London News Shopper with thanks.)
















Share This Post On