Southport L.T.O.

April 9, 2015

southport fridge magnet

 Southport 0. v . 3. AFC Telford

(Played on Monday 6th April 2015.)

Southport suffered their second defeat of the Bank Holiday weekend as they were beaten at home against bottom of the table Telford United.


Telford, whose relegation from the Vanarama Conference was confirmed on Saturday, consigned the Sandgrounders to their first defeat at the Merseyrail Community Stadium in six home matches.

Paul Carden’s side were left to rue a disastrous four-minute period either side of half-time during which they conceded twice and had Will Beesley sent off.

It had taken the first ten minutes for the Sandgrounders to settle but, similarly to the match at Altrincham on Good Friday, they created the chances to have taken the lead.

Charlie Joyce was unable to get enough power behind his header from a Richard Brodie cross, while Georgie Donnelly’s swerving 25-yard shot was deflected wide.


Steven Hewitt dragged an effort across the face of goal after a smart pass from Paul Rutherford and the same two players almost combined again but Hewitt was unable to connect with the goal gaping.

The Sandgrounders were made to pay for their wastefulness two minutes before half-time when Tony Gray, the former Southport striker, capitalised on a misjudgement from Beesley, allowing Bradley Reid to nudged the ball home at the far post.

The home side’s misery was compounded in the fourth minute of stoppage time as Beesley was sent off after receiving a second yellow card for a foul on Adam Farrell.

Telford wasted little time in making their numerical advantage count, Gray increasing their lead two minutes after the re-start by neatly slotting home a pass from Reid.


And on 58 minutes it was three, Sean Clancy, another one-time Southport player, cutting the ball back for Sam Smith to hammer a low shot home from 18 yards.

The Sandgrounders never looked likely to find a route back into the game. After a charging run upfield, Luke George fired the ball well over the bar, while substitute Connor McCarthy narrowly missed with an audacious effort from 30 yards following a slip from defender Ian Sharps.

Southport’s cause was hindered further when Matt Challoner hobbled off with 15 minutes remaining, meaning the home side finished the match with nine men.

(This Match Report is adapted from the Southport FC Official Site with thanks.)


Share This Post On