September 20, 2015
Answers to the FIRST TWO rounds at the last BRSC General Knowledge Quiz.
How did you get on?
Round 1. General Knowledge
- What does an entomologist study? Insects
- Henry Cooper and Kevin Keegan both appeared in adverts for what after shave? Brut
- What is an ice hockey puck made from? Rubber
- What was used to mend Jack’s head after he had fallen down the hill? Vinegar and brown paper
- How many pairs of ribs would the normal human have? 12
- When was execution by guillotine abolished in France, 1851, 1881, 1951, 1981? 1981 (Last execution in 1977)
- What chemically is H14 N2, a poisonous alkaloid consumed daily by millions? Nicotine
- Which diminutive and very young Russian gymnast was a star of the 1972 Olympics? Olga Korbut
- Who Wrote The Novel The Great Gatsby? F Scott Fitzgerald
- What was the name given to the inventor Sir Clive Sinclair’s electric three-wheeled car? C5
Round 2. Taking the Michael
All answers are famous Michaels or a derivatives of Michael
- Who holds the record for winning the most medals of any Olympic athlete in history? Michael Phelps
- Who was the winner of an oscar for the film Hannah and her Sisters? Michael Caine
- Which scientist appeared on the reverse of a Bank of England banknote? Michael Faraday
- Who played one of the main characters in The Waltons? Miss Michael Learned
- Which author created the detective Mike Hammer? Mickey Spillane
- Who had UK hits with Somebody To Love, Too Funky and Don‘t let The Sun Go Down On Me? George Michael
- Who holds the record as the youngest boxer to win the WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight titles? Mike Tyson
- Which Irish politician shares his name with an astronaut? Michael Collins
- Who presented The Wide Awake Club, The Really Wild Show and Springwatch? Michaela Strachan
- Who made his debut in the film Steamboat Willie ? Mickey Mouse
For those supporters who are interested in the nature of the quiz here are the Questions from Rounds 3 and 4.
Have a look, get the thinking caps on and see how you get on.
Round 3. The 2014/15 Football Season
- Who contested the Capital One Cup final?
- Who were runners up in League 2?
- Exeter City famously lost a Round 1 FA Cup tie to which non-league club live on TV?
- Who were the defeated FA Cup Semi-Finalists?
- Who scored the fastest ever Premier League hat-trick in 2 mins 56 seconds?
- Which League 2 club had the most draws in the football league, 19 in total?
- Which League 1 club had the lowest number of draws in the football league, 6 in total?
- Who finished bottom of the Vanarama Conference?
- What position was Matty Taylor in the end of season goal scoring table in the Conference?
- Which club was been in League Two the longest (and still is)?
Round 4. Cities
- Which is the UK‘s most northerly city?
- Which is the UK‘s most southerly city?
- Which town is the only former city in England; a status it held from 1211 until 1998?
- Which came first for Bristol, County status or City status?
- What is the smallest city in the United Kingdom?
- Which is England‘s newest city; given that status to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee ?
- Three UK towns have football clubs styled City, but are not cities. Name one of them?
- The River Irwell separates which two cities?
- Mott the Hoople and The Pretenders were formed in this city and Ellie Goulding was born here. Where?
- Which is the oldest city in Northern Ireland?
The answers will be provided on Monday 21st September.
The next BRSC General Knowledge Quiz.
It is scheduled for Thursday 19th November 2015.