March 4, 2016
The Answers to THREE rounds from the BRSC General Knowledge Quiz from 25/02/2016.
Half marks is good. Two thirds correct is excellent. 100% right is stretching the realms of credulity.
Round 1. General Knowledge
- Who wrote the book The Railway Children? Edith Nesbit.
- The Galápagos Islands are a provincial territory of which South American country? Ecuador.
- In architecture, what is a Lancet? Window.
- What is the largest flat fish species? Halibut.
- What went from Sergeant to Columbus in 34 years? The Carry On film series.
- What is the oldest university in the USA? Harvard.
- Who was the first British person to walk in space? Michael Foale.
- Which country has the international car registration RA? Argentina.
- Which Capital City was formerly called Lutetia? (Roman name for Paris.)
- What does ‘E’ represent in the formula E = MC²? Energy.
Round 2. Australia
- How many countries are bigger than Australia in area? Five (Russia, Canada, China, USA and Brazil).
- Who was known as the Bush Kangaroo on TV? Skippy.
- What is the Capital of South Australia? Adelaide.
- What is the Australian name for a long narrow ox bow lake? Billabong.
- To the nearest 5%, what percentage of the population of Australia live in Sydney? 20% (20.61%).
- What is the national flower of Australia? Wattle (Blossom).
- Which long running series in Australia has featured guest appearances by Matt Lucas, David Walliams, Emma Bunton, Shane Warne and Paula Abdul? Neighbours.
- Darwin is the Capital of which Australian state? Northern Territories.
- What was the nationality of the first Europeans to make landfall in Australia ? Dutch.
- If an Australian suggested you use his Durex, what would he be offering? Sellotape or Sticky tape.
Round 5. Authors
Who is the author of the following books?
- Mein Kampf. Adolf Hitler.
- The Railway Children. Edith Nesbit.
- The Wind in the Willows. Kenneth Grahame.
- Peril at End House, Five Little Pigs & Appointment With Death. Agatha Christie.
- Angels & Demons. Dan Brown.
- Barnaby Rudge & Hard Times. Charles Dickens.
- Angela‘s Ashes. Frank McCourt.
- Lorna Doone. R D Blackmore (Robert Doddridge Blackmore.)
- Carrie, Misery. Stephen King.
- Gone With The Wind. Margaret Mitchell.
A further set of THREE ROUNDS is posted elsewhere.
Can you do better on those categories?