March 5, 2016
The Answers to THREE rounds from the BRSC General Knowledge Quiz from 25/02/2016.
15 correct is good. Twenty correct is excellent. 100% right suggests self-kidology in existence.
Round 7. General Knowledge
- Who invented Jeans? Jacob W Davis / Levi Strauss.
- What is the green pigment found in most plants that is responsible for absorbing light energy? Chlorophyll.
- Who was the first English monarch to abdicate? Richard II.
- Which English cathedral was destroyed by fire in the seventeenth century? St Pauls, London.
- How many labours were performed by Hercules? Twelve.
- What does a cartophilist collect? Cigarette Cards.
- What is the state capital of California? Sacramento.
- Who played Simon Templar in the 1997 film ‘The Saint’? Val Kilmer.
- What is a blini? Pancake .
- Which British prime minister had a bag named after him? Gladstone.
Round 8. Television
- On which TV programme can you see Matthew Hill, Imogen Sellers and Andrew Plant? BBC Points West.
- Douglas Henshall stars as Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez in which series? Shetland.
- Who plays Grace in the US sitcom ‘Will and Grace’? Debra Messing.
- In which comedy series did a giant cat terrorise London? The Goodies.
- Who was the original host of the TV Quiz Show ‘Have I Got News For You’ ? Angus Deayton.
- Who died in the first live episode of EastEnders when he fell from the roof of the Queen Vic ? Bradley Branning.
- Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy were both spin-offs from which series? Happy Days.
- Which comedy sketch show was the phrase ‘Oh, suits you sir’ associated with? The Fast Show.
- In which year were TV licences introduced in the UK, 1946, 1948 or 1951? 1946.
- Of which television series was Jack Bauer the protagonist? 24.
Round 9. Music
- What was the top selling single of 2014? Happy by Pharrell Williams.
- What was the last film Soundtrack to be the top-selling album for the year in the UK? Saturday Night Fever.
- What note do orchestras typically tune up to? A.
- From which number 1 do the lyrics “When the day is dawning on a Texas Sunday morning, How I long to be there With Marie who’s waiting for me there” come from? Amarillo (Is this the way to.)
- Beethoven was born in which German city? Bonn.
- How did soul singer Otis Redding die in 1967? Plane crash.
- Which female group had UK hits with One fine day, He‘s so fine and Sweet talking guy? The Chiffons.
- Which singer’s original name was Elaine Bookbinder? Elkie Brooks.
- Name the singer who duetted with Nellie Furtado on Broken Strings and Jessie J on Up? James Morrison.
- Which German Big Band leader died in June 2015 in Palm Beach, Florida? James Last.
If you have enjoyed doing this consider bringing a team along to the next BRSC Quiz evening.