Sport & Leisure
May 11, 2016
Over the next few days will be posted some of the rounds of the recent BRSC Quiz.
Here is Round Three.
Round 3. Sport & Leisure
1. Name the golfer who has just won the US Masters in Augusta?
2. Football – who is England‘s highest ever goal-scorer?
3. What sort of fighting was banned from 1848 in the UK?
4. Karren Brady‘s footballer husband was an international for which country?
5. Which jockey has the unusual first name Lanfranco?
6. Which club play their home matches at the Forthbank Stadium?
7. Who broke the world pole vault record 17 times in his athletics career which stood for 20 years?
8. Which former Bristol Rovers player also played for Arsenal, Blackpool, Southampton and Everton?
9. Cricket – only four counties have never won the wooden spoon. Middlesex and Surrey are two, name either of the others.
10. Which Welsh footballer said “Living in Italy is like living in a foreign country“; although in his autobiography he denied it and said it was a joke made up by Kenny Dalglish?
(Here are the Answers to Round Two.)
Round 2. Arts and Crafts
1. What is calligraphy?
The art of producing decorative handwriting or lettering with a pen or brush
2. What is the literal meaning of the word crochet?
3. In which country did the plastic construction toy Lego originate?
4. Paul Cézanne, Edgar Degas and Claude Monet were leading figures in which art movement?
5. Name the drawing toy with cog-wheels and gears punctured with holes for a ball point pen?
6. Which town in SE England gives its name to a form of decoratively inlaid woodwork, typically in the form of boxes?
Tunbridge Wells or Tonbridge (Tunbridge ware)
7. What name is given to the practice of creating models by folding paper?
8. Name the purplish semi-precious stone mined in the High Peak, Derbyshire, used in jewellery and ornaments?
9. What name is given to the rigid material made of plant stalks, branches or shoots formed by a kind of weaving?
10.What is scrimshaw?
Carved bone or ivory
(Round Four and The Answers to Round Three will be posted tomorrow.)