Daly on target again as Rovers have to settle for a point

Oct 18, 2020 | Match Reports, News

James Daly’s second Gas goal looked like it may be the only difference between the two sides at BS7, with the striker putting Rovers ahead early on in the second half, only for Kane Hemmings to grab the equaliser for Burton in the 79th minute.

The sides played out a goalless opening forty-five minutes, with Rovers going closest to the opening goal in the first-half when Luke McCormick directed a low volley wide of goal. 

Rovers did manage to find the goal to break the deadlock just seven minutes after the interval, with James Daly showing great composure to take full advantage of a slack defensive header from Neal Eardley, with the striker calmly rounding O’Hara for his second goal in as many games.

In a goalmouth scramble following a corner, Kane Hemmings bundled home a close-range finish to help the visitors take home a point. 


For the third game in a row, Manager Ben Garner opted for an unchanged starting XI, following maximum points against both Northampton and Lincoln. 

Rovers did make changes to the bench, with loanee Erhun Oztumer named amongst the Gas substitutes. 

Rovers started the contest the brightest of the two teams, forcing an early corner when a cross from David Tutonda was deflected behind. 

The early positivity from Rovers resulted in the first chance of note falling to the Gas after just 6 minutes. It was long-ball forward from Cian Harries that crafted the opening, as a half-clearance from the visitors dropped to Luke McCormick on the edge of the area, with the Chelsea loanee dragging a low volley narrowly wide of the target from the edge of the box.


Garner’s side had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down shortly after McCormick’s chance. Josh Hare’s cross from the right swept across the goalmouth, with James Daly appearing to be pushed at the far-post when attempting a late run to meet the delivery, but the referee was unmoved by the appeals for a spot-kick.

As the opening forty-five minutes progressed, chances became harder to come by for both sides. 

A set-piece from Josh Hare looked like to my provide the opportunity for the right-back to test O’Hara in the Burton goal just prior to the interval. In a central position, just 20-yards from goal, the set-piece from the defender was stopped by Burton wall.

The deadlock remained in place at the halfway stage, with Rovers having the better of the limited chances on offer.


After the break, Rovers quickly registered a chance on goal, as a low left-footed effort from Hanlan skidded wide of the Burton goal. 

The visitors had chances of their own, as Vassilev had space inside the Rovers area to launch an effort towards the Rovers goal that curled wide of the target.

Just seven minutes after the break, Rovers were able to find the games first goal. The move started with a direct ball forward from Cian Harries that was headed back towards the Burton goal by Neal Eardley. James Daly showed great alertness to latch onto the wayward header by Eardley and kept his composure to round O’Hara to tap home into the empty Burton net for his second goal in as many games.


Rovers were boosted by the goal and had the opportunity to stretch their advantage to a two-goal lead shortly after Daly’s opener. It was Josh Hare’s cross that caused the Burton defence issues on the hour mark, with the defender’s delivery headed marginally off target by Hanlan.

There were nervous moments for Rovers when a sliced clearance from Cian Harries ballooned towards the hosts’ goal, but a superb stop by Jaakkola who darted back towards the goal line proved to be enough to tip the ball wide.

Ed Upson and Sam Nicholson were introduced, as the Gas headed into the final 15 minutes with a slim lead.

Burton managed to bring the scores back level as the game approached the final ten minutes. Joe Powell’s corner from the right caused havoc in the Rovers area, with multiple efforts blocked inside the goalmouth scramble, before Kane Hemmings poked home the equalising goal.

Rovers did have a late chance to grab a dramatic winner, as once again Josh Hare was able to launch a high-quality cross into the mix from the right. Sam Nicholson lost his marker inside the area to met Hare’s cross and saw his header crash onto the crossbar.


Rovers face a quick turnaround, ahead of travelling to Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday evening (6pm KO) in Sky Bet League One. 

Bristol Rovers: Anssi Jaakkola, Cian Harries, Max Ehmer (c), Jack Baldwin, David Tutonda, Josh Hare, Josh Grant, Zain Westbrooke (81′ Erhun Oztumer) , Luke McCormick (72′ Sam Nicholson), Brandon Hanlan, James Daly (72′ Ed Upson).

Subs: Jordi Van Stappershoef, Alfie Kilgour, Cameron Hargreaves, Jayden Mitchell-Lawson

Burton Albion: Kieran O’Hara, Kieran Wallace, Stephen Quinn (c), Kane Hemmings, Lucas Akins, Ben Fox, Indiana Vassilev (86′ Luke Varney), John Joe O’Toole, Neal Eardley, Ciaran Gilligan, Sam Hughes.

Subs: Teddy Sharman-Lowe, Colin Daniel, Stephen Lawless, Jack Roles, Owen Gallacher