Development squad come from a goal behind to win at Yate

Jul 15, 2018 | Development squad, News

The hosts took the lead early in the second half through a Josh Ford header, but the game was turned around on 65 minutes when a trialist scored a 30-yard screamer, before substitute under-18 Zain Walker stabbed home the winner from close range six minutes later.

The side consisted once again of a number of trialists, however there were still spots for Liam Armstrong, Luke Russe, Cameron Hargreaves, Ben Morgan and recent recruit Theo Widdrington.

Under-18s Osian Dillon and Jamie Bremner also got call ups, whilst Walker was on the bench; a recent acquisition to the academy.

The opening 10 minutes saw both sides share possession, looking to find their feet with the most action of note being a superb stretched challenge from Morgan to stop a Yate man from advancing on goal.

Just past the 20-minute mark there was half a chance for the trialist playing up front as Bremner found him with a good cross from the left, but he opted to try and take the ball down instead of head it and as a result couldn’t get a shot away.

The same trialist impressed again about 10 minutes later, powering a defender off the ball in his own half before carrying it into the penalty area and beating another man for pace, however his cut back pass was intercepted – great play.

Just as a quiet first half was coming to a close, Armstrong was called into action and produced a decent stop as a wide free kick was whipped in low and threatened to find the bottom corner, but for the keeper’s strong right hand.

Chris Hargreaves made five changes at the break, bringing on Mo Baghdadi, Conor Jones, Cameron Ebbutt, Zane Walker and a trialist on for Bremner, Russe, Hargreaves Jnr. and two trialists.

After just a few minutes of the second half, Rovers found themselves behind when Josh Ford rose highest from a free kick to head his side into the lead.

Moments later the visitors had a penalty shout turned down, when the substituted trialist cut inside onto his left outside the box and shot at goal, claiming a defender blocked his effort with a hand; the referee waved it away.

Ebbutt then got his first sniff at goal, as he was played in with a nicely lofted ball out wide from a trialist through on goal and beyond a defender, but Ebbutt couldn’t quite set himself for a strike as he was nudged slightly off balance.

Hargreaves Snr. made his sixth change with little less than a third of the game remaining, with a trialist on for Widdrington; the impact was instant.

The trialist picked up the ball from 30 yards, looked up and rifled a stunning strike into the top right corner leaving the keeper with no chance.

There could’ve been two in as many minutes, with Ebbutt marauding down the left flank and in behind the defence and squaring a useful ball, that was crying out to be met by a blue and white shirt.

The lead would come for the Gas just past the 70-minute mark, with substitute Walker racing through on goal and stabbing the ball past an onrushing keeper to make it 2-1.

As a result, Yate Town then went on the offensive, testing Armstrong with a couple of shots that ended up being comfortable for the 18-year old.

On 75 minutes, a trialist replaced a fellow trialist.

Yate Town were inches away from an equaliser, as Joe Guest rifled a ferocious strike towards the top corner but just missed the target.

The Evo-stik Southern League South side continued to press for a second goal, with threatening crosses from either side providing tests for Morgan and Dillon that they both passed as Rovers saw out the victory.

Rovers XI: Liam Armstrong, Trialist, Osian Dillon, Ben Morgan, Jamie Bremner (Baghdadi, 45), Theo Widdrington (Trialist, 64), Luke Russe (Conor Jones, 45), Cameron Hargreaves (Trialist, 45), Trialist (Cameron Ebbutt, 45), Trialist (Zain Walker, 45), Trialist (Trialist, 75).

Unused Subs: Alexis Andre-Jr, Cameron Allen.