Ipswich Town (Home)

Jul 4, 2023 | 2023 A Season in Review

The Memorial Stadium Tuesday 14th February 2023

Bristol Rovers 0

Ipswich Town 0

Referee: Paul Howard Attendance: 8,542

For the visit of third placed Ipswich Town, and following four consecutive league defeats, manager Joe Barton made three changes, bringing in Stuart Sinclair, Harry Anderson and Lamare Bogarde at the expense of Ryan Loft (who was suspended in any case), Josh Coburn and Luke McCormick.

Barton also opted to change tactics, packing his midfield and leaving Aaron Collins, who again wore the captain’s armband, as the lone striker.

Goalkeeper Ellery Balcombe was called into action in the second minute and did well to push away a close range Cameron Burgess effort following a corner from the left.

The keeper was in action again a few minutes later, making a comfortable save from a weak Burgess header.

Rovers gradually clawed their way back into the contest and Jarell Quansah headed over following a corner. With Barton’s side content to surrender possession higher up the pitch, it was left to the visitors to try to hit their hosts on the break.

By and large, Rovers succeeded in frustrating an Ipswich side that seemed unable to take full advantage of the possession they were enjoying. Burgess, Cameron Humphreys and Freddie Ladapo all sent efforts wide of the target, while at the other end Aaron Collins saw a shot comfortably saved by Christian Walton.

There were a couple of half chances for Ipswich shortly after the break, but Sone Aluko and Ladapo both missed the target when goalscoring opportunities presented themselves.

Collins forced a save from Walton, even though his shot appeared to be drifting wide of the target and shortly afterwards Rovers coach Danny Ventre was shown a yellow card for preventing an Ipswich throw in being taken quickly.

The best chances of the evening fell to Rovers, both arriving in the 69th minute. When Walton spilt a shot from Collins, the ball fell to Sinclair and as he toe poked it towards goal, central defender Luke Woolfenden volleyed clear.

Balcombe was able to beat away a Nathan Broadbent effort as the visitors attempted to turn the screw in order to take all three points, and the Rovers shot stopper saved again from Harry Clarke and Conor Chaplin before the final whistle.

Rovers’ first goalless draw of the season turned out to be an entertaining affair and their best performance for a while. It gives them something to build on after a disastrous run of results.

However, whilst Barton’s tactics worked against an Ipswich side that didn’t come to shut up shop, his side do need to find their goalscoring touch if they are to remain in a mid table position and with another home game to follow, against Burton Albion, it is to be hoped they end this gloomy run of games without a win.

Lamare Bogarde made his first start in this game, Calum Macdonald was on the bench for the first time and three more recent newcomers, Balcombe, Quansah and Grant Ward, await their first win bonus!

Bristol Rovers: Balcombe, Gibbons, Quansah, Connolly, Gordon, Bogarde (Coburn, 76), Ward, Evans, Anderson (Hoole, 76), Collins, Sinclair.

Substitutes: Jaakkola, McCormick, Marquis, Lawrence, Macdonald.

Ipswich Town: Walton, Donacien, Woolfenden, Burgess, Burns (Edwards, 58), Morsy, Humphreys, Davis (Clarke, 75), Aluko (Broadhead, 58), Harness (Chaplin, 75), Ladapo (Hirst, 75).

Substitutes: Hladky, Jackson.


There were no former Rovers players in the Ipswich side

A yellow card was issued to coach Danny Ventre

Aaron Collins was skipper

Two substitutes used

First goalless draw of the season

Five added minutes

(photos courtesy of JMP)

Keith Brookman