The Wings L.T.O.

November 26, 2014

(Article Adapted from the Essex Chronicle with thanks.)


Welling United Badge

BRAINTREE Town’s mini revival came to a disappointing end after they were beaten 1-0 at home to Welling United.

After securing excellent victories over Wrexham and AFC Telford United the Iron were looking to make it three wins on the spin against a visiting team one place above the relegation zone, with four away points this season and having sold their best player and top scorer Harry Beautyman to Peterborough United the day before.

But Charlie Penny’s 63rd minutes goal proved enough to win a match that saw just two notable shots on target, one of them being the winner, in what was a rather flat performance from the Iron.

Braintree were unchanged for the third game running, a rarity for the Iron in an injury-hit season so far.

They started with promise and Chez Isaac’s cross from the left was just a fraction too high for Charlie Strutton at the back post after just two minutes.

Two minutes later Strutton’s purposeful run into the box from the left caused problems in the Welling box and after Sean Marks had a shot blocked Welling managed to clear.

The visitors first sighter at goal came on 13 minutes when player-manager Jamie Day’s corner from the right was met by Zac Fagon’s free header but his effort went harmless over the bar.

Braintree town fc 2

Braintree suffered another scare on 19 minutes when keeper Nick Hamann slipped as he came to collect Day’s free-kick from deep. Jake Gallagher got his head to the ball, but with Hamann stranded on the deck, the header went over.

Welling’s Joey Taylor fizzed a ball across the Iron area they was picked up by no one as they visitors started to shade the game.

Gallagher got his head to a Day corner but Braintree hacked the ball clear before the same man latched on to a ball into the box, but saw his scuffed effort blocked.

In between Isaac curled a free-kick from the Iron, left of centre 19 yards out, over the wall and then bar.

Alan Massey went into the book, after he brought down Penny as he looked to burst through the Iron back line.

Three minutes before the break Simeon Akinola wriggled free in the right corner and sent a cross to the back post which looped over Benji Buchel, but sadly no Iron player was there for the easiest of tap ins.

The Iron’s best chance of the game came seven minutes into the second half when a driven ball from deep angled across the Welling penalty area made it’s way through several bodies to James Mulley unmarked on the right channel.

However, the right midfielder didn’t even hit the target blasting his effort into the advertising hoardings at the side of the goal.

Welling also should have done better on 57 minutes when Penny was fouled close to the penalty area on the right byline. Day rolled the free-kick to the edge of the box to Sam Corne arriving from deep but he blazed over.

Two minutes later a keeper was finally forced into a save as Strutton saw his effort from a tight angle in the left channel of the box saved by Buchel.

Six minutes later Welling made their first shot on target count. Barney Williams got free down the right and crossed into the box for Taylor, who scuffed an effort towards goal, it deflected off an Iron defender and Penny pounced to blast home from eight yards.

Remy Clerima went into the book for similar foul to Massey’s with Penny looking to get clear again.

Manager Alan Devonshire replaced Strutton and Mulley with Kenny Davis and Dan Walker, but it was third substitute Dan Sparkes, on for Akinola who had more of an affect on the game in the closing stages.

With nine minutes to go he got away down the right and crossed to the near post where Sean Marks volleyed over.

A minute later his driven shot from 20 yards was deflected for a corner and from the quickly taken set piece Braintree caused panic in the Welling penalty area, but the hosts couldn’t force the ball home.

Four minutes were added on, but it was the visitors who threatened with substitute Kieron St Aimie pulling the ball back from the byline to Joe Healy but he fired over when unmarked on the edge of the penalty area.

Braintree Town

  • 01 Hamann
  • 23 Peters
  • 20 Clerima Booked
  • 06 Massey Booked
  • 03 Habergham
  • 26 Mulley (Walker – 68′ )
  • 05 Paine Booked
  • 04 Isaac
  • 15 Akinola (Sparkes – 71′ )
  • 09 Marks
  • 10 Strutton (Davis – 68′ )


  • 02 Brundle
  • 07 Walker
  • 08 Davis
  • 11 Sparkes
  • 29 Pentney

Welling United

  • 22 Büchel
  • 23 Williams
  • 05 Fagan
  • 19 Chambers
  • 25 Taylor (Hudson – 84′ )
  • 27 Day
  • 04 Gallagher
  • 20 Corne
  • 09 Penny (St Aimie – 87′ )
  • 15 Bassele (St Aimie – 88′ )
  • 33 Healy


  • 01 Henly
  • 10 St Aimie
  • 13 Turner
  • 24 Hudson
  • 28 Johnson

Ref: Craig Hicks

Att: 580


Share This Post On