Alty As Planned

January 25, 2015

Congratulations to our local friends Bath City on their 1-0 victory over Altrincham.

It was also good news for Bristol Rovers supporters. There may not be a need to rearrange another home match.

Our home match against Altrincham on Saturday 21st February will be able to go ahead as scheduled.

If Altrincham had won this match then there was the possibility of an FA Trophy match taking precedence.

Braintree rearranged was hopefully our only match that will end up being moved to a midweek slot.

We will need to keep track of the Gateshead situation before it is certain though.

Walsh heads City into FA Trophy quarter-finals 

(Match Report below courtesy of the Bath City Official Site with thanks.)

 A Phil Walsh goal with 12 minutes remaining took City through to the FA Trophy quarter-finals for just the second time in the club’s history at Twerton Park this afternoon.

His header, from a Ross Stearn free-kick, was enough to deservedly beat Vanarama Premier side Altrincham and ensure City’s name goes into the hat for Monday’s draw.


An early chance for Andy Watkins showed that City were going to pose a real test for the higher division side, and it was Watkins again who lifted a shot across goal on 18 minutes.

The visitors were enjoying the greater possession but time and again their attacks broke down in the final third of the pitch. Only as the half reached it closing stages did they threaten a goal, Mellor blocking Clee’s shot then producing a finger-tip save to deny Lawrie.

Having been largely content to contain Alty during the first half after the break City began to pose a much great attacking threat. Keeper Coburn got down low to save Chris Allen’s shot then Ben Adelsbury headed a Dave Pratt centre narrowly over.

In-between Mellor did well to block Reeves close-range effort after initially fumbling the ball. Allen then was denied a strong penalty claim when Marshall brought him down in the box before Coburn produced another good save from Watkins’ shot.

The introduction of attacking trio Nick McCootie, Naby Diallo and Ross Stearn showed that the game was there for the taking and it was the latter who set up Walsh to finally break the deadlock.

If City feared an onslaught from Altrincham after this it never materialised, in fact the Romans almost caught them on the break several times in the closing stages before the referee’s whistle sparked jubilant scenes on and off the pitch.

Share This Post On