Big Steve To Bath

February 11, 2015

Steve Elliott continues his tour of West clubs following his release by Cheltenham Town.

Embedded image permalink

Great news for Bath City and many congratulations to The Romans on their victory over Dover Athletic.

Their supporters are now looking forward to the possibility of promotion and a Wembley final.

(Meanwhile, Bath City beat Dover Athletic 2-1 in their replay on Tuesday 10th February 2015.)

Chas & Dave take Bath City a step closer to the Wembley dream.

 City are in the FA Trophy semi-finals for the first time in their history after beating Dover Athletic by two goals to one at Twerton Park.  First half headers from Dave Pratt and Chas Hemmings gave City a two-goal advantage at the break before Sterling halved the lead with 21 minutes remaining.

However, City withstood everything Dover could throw at them after this, the last five minutes with just ten men following Naby Diallo’s second successive red card, to move within 180 minutes of a Wembley final appearance.

Despite the late heartbreak on Saturday, City dominated the opening 30 minutes of the game. Whites keeper Walker dropped an early cross allowing Andy Watkins to head home only for the referee to award a free-kick against City.

Moments later Pratt was pushed over in the box by Orlu only for the referee to wave play on. However, City continued to press and justice was done on 24 minutes when Watkins crossed for Pratt to glance a header past Watkins.

And five minutes later it got even better for the home side when Hemmings rose highest to flick Chris Allen’s free-kick into the net. Hemmings then crashed a free-kick against the crossbar as City looked to drive home their dominance.

The rest of the half saw Dover finally come into the game  but it wasn’t until the 69th minute though that they pulled a goal back from a rare mistake by Phil Walsh that allowed Sterling to fire a low shot into the corner of the net.

Dover were now consistently pumping the ball toward the City box but clear cut chances were few and far between. Even when Diallo was harshly cautioned for a trip to see red, Dover could not make their man advantage count.

In fact, it was City who came closest to adding to the scoring through Ross Stearn. Moments later this was forgotten as the referee’s whistle signalled jubilant scenes as City continued on their remarkable FA Trophy adventure.

City will be home in the first leg of the semi-final against North Ferriby United on Saturday 21 February before travelling to the East Riding of Yorkshire a week later on Saturday 28 February.

Embedded image permalink

Share This Post On