Did It In One

June 10, 2015


Celebration Monday was a good day.

Thank you to for turning out on the streets and at the stadium in such numbers.

Promotion through winning the play off final meant much extra work all round at the Football Club.

Bristol Rovers Manager, Darrell Clarke celebrates in front of the fans - Photo mandatory by-line: Neil Brookman/JMP - Mobile: 07966 386802 - 17/05/2015 - SPORT - football - London - Wembley Stadium - Bristol Rovers v Grimsby Town - Vanarama Conference Football

Paul and Bernie at 199 and Kay and Clare at Pirate Leisure were very busy. Clare opened PL on the Monday after the bus tour and deserves a well earned holiday. Club Secretary, Dave Sams, also deserved his break.


Ian and all the stadium and catering staff have all put in extra shifts; the work on the playing surface is under way and it is looking good for July. There are many volunteers who gave of their time to thank. Many thanks to everyone.

Promotion meant saying goodbye to non League football and saying hello again to our many friends in The Football League after just one season.


It is the Annual conference season for the League organisers and their member clubs. Many key issues are discussed and decisions made about changes to the regulations. The future direction of the game is under constant review.

This year we were expected to attend both the Annual Conference gathering and the Football League Conference. Board members already had busy diaries and so at short notice I was called upon to represent Bristol Rovers at both events.

It is normal for partners to attend along with club delegates so my wife, Gill, was also called upon for a hectic few days at very short notice.

The Football League conference was packed with presentations, discussions, panel sessions and proposals to be voted on at the AGM which followed the debates. We were well received and warmly welcomed back into the Football League fold. Delegate after delegate approached me to express the warmest of welcomes.


The Football League Board and senior staff were very welcoming. It was a relief to be back among them again. There were over 30 proposals to be voted on at the AGM and it took two whole days to read the paperwork in preparation.

I was in constant contact with the Chairman to ensure I voted in the very best interests of Bristol Rovers FC and our supporters. The League will announce the decisions made in due course and no doubt you will have already caught site of a number of them.

Conference number one over meant Gill and I flew back to Bristol Airport in the early hours of Saturday morning getting to our home north of Bristol in the early hours. It was not all over for us, however, as we were called upon to attend the Annual Conference get-together and awards event the same day and evening over at Celtic Manor.


Darrell and I duly picked up the play off winners and Conference League runners up pots as we bid farewell to non league football. Two of our local clubs were very pleased for us and went out of their well to say well done to us with really sincere handshakes and good wishes. Thank you to the delegates from Bath City and Weston-super-Mare FC.

Sunday was spent writing up my report of the weeks activity before the Board Meeting and Supporters Club Executive Meeting on Monday 8th June 2015. So ended an eight day stint which included five long nights.

At the end of it I still feel the relief that we are back in The Football League. Anything longer – I cannot  think about.

What pleases me most of all is that our supporters can go back to work, or school, or college or on holiday, in the pub, anywhere and say:-

“We are Bristol Rovers and we went up, we stayed together and we did it in one.”

Kind regards

Bristol Rovers v Alfreton Town 250415

Ken Masters

Share This Post On