March 4, 2016
Test yourself with these THREE rounds from the BRSC GK Quiz from 25/02/2016.
Half marks is good. Two thirds correct is excellent. 100% right is stretching the realms of credulity.
Round 7. General Knowledge
- Who invented Jeans?
- What is the green pigment found in most plants that is responsible for absorbing light energy?
- Who was the first English Monarch to abdicate?
- Which English cathedral was destroyed by fire in the Seventeenth century?
- How many labours were performed by Hercules?
- What does a cartophilist collect?
- What is the State Capital of California?
- Who played Simon Templar in the 1997 film ‘The Saint’?
- What is a blini?
- Which British prime minister had a bag named after him?
Round 8. Television
- On which TV programme can you see Matthew Hill, Imogen Sellers and Andrew Plant?
- Douglas Henshall stars as Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez in which series?
- Who plays Grace in the US sitcom ‘Will and Grace’?
- In which comedy series did a giant cat terrorise London?
- Who was the original host of the TV Quiz Show ‘Have I Got News For You’ ?
- Who died in the first live episode of EastEnders when he fell from the roof of the Queen Vic ?
- Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy were both spin-offs from which series?
- Which comedy sketch show was the phrase ‘Oh, Suits You Sir’ associated with?
- In which year were TV licences introduced in the UK, 1946, 1948 or 1951?
- Of which television series was Jack Bauer the protagonist?
Round 9. Music
- What was the top selling single of 2014?
- What was the last film Soundtrack to be the top-selling album for the year in the UK?
- What note do orchestras typically tune up to?
- From which number 1 do the lyrics, “When the day is dawning on a Texas Sunday morning, How I long to be there With Marie who’s waiting for me there” come from?
- Beethoven was born in which German city?
- How did soul singer Otis Redding die in 1967?
- Which female group had UK hits with One Fine Day, He‘s So Fine and Sweet Talking Guy?
- Which singer’s original name was Elaine Bookbinder?
- Name the singer who duetted with Nellie Furtado on Broken Strings and Jessie J on Up?
- Which German Big Band leader died in June 2015 in Palm Beach, Florida?
The answers to these questions will be posted on Saturday 5th March 2016.
Are you now a recognised MENSA member?