29th March 1950 – 10th November 2023

Described as one of Cork’s favourite sons, and a football legend in his native city, former Bristol Rovers player Miah Dennehy died on 10th November following a long illness.

Whilst working in a shoe factory in Cork, Dennehy played his football for Wolf Tones and North Villa and, after joining Cork Hibernian he helped them to a first League title in 20 years, in 1971, and in 1972 he became the first player to score a hat trick in an Irish Cup Final as his side defeated Waterford 3-0.

That year also saw him win the first of his 11 international caps for the Republic of Ireland, against Ecuador in a 3-2 victory in June.

In February 1973 Nottingham Forest paid £20,000 to secure his signature and it was whilst at the City Ground that he made a guest appearance, as a substitute, for an all Ireland XI when they took on the full Brazilian international side at Lansdowne Road.

During his time at Forest, and allegedly unknown to them, Miah would return to Ireland most weekends where he played hurling and Gaelic football.

His time with Forest took in four goals in 41 league appearances but two years after joining them he was on the move again, to Walsall, and in three years with the Saddlers he scored 22 goals in 128 league games.

In July 1978 Rovers brought him to Eastville and the clever and tricky winger became a firm favourite with the club’s regular supporters.

He made his league debut for Rovers on 19th August 1978 in a 3-1 win against Fulham watched by a crowd of 5,950. He was the 449th player to represent the club in the league.

His six goals in 52 league games for Rovers included a Boxing Day hat trick against Swansea in a 4-1 win in 1979.

He returned home, in 1980, to captain Cork United in the League of Ireland and he later turned out for Thurles Town, Waterford, Limerick, Drogheda and Newcastle West.

He suffered a serious head injury following an unprovoked assault, outside a local pub, in August 2007 and spent time in a coma in his local hospital followed by time in the National Rehabilitation Centre in Dublin where he learned to speak again.

His later years were blighted by the onset of Alzheimer’s and the 73 year old passed away leaving a widow, Caroline and children Kristian and Chelsea.

Our thoughts go out to them and his wider family and circle of friends at this sad time.